Tuesday, January 20, 2009

America Welcomes a new president


As I sat today watching the swearing in of President Obama I couldn't help it but many thoughts went through my mind as I was watching history happen. Although I did not vote for Obama I do respect him as our new President and do wish him well in his endeavors.
First of all, I have to give this man many kudos! To be the first man of color to run and be elected President is a wonderful accomplishment as well as a man of his age and experience. It is a shame that it has taken America so long to come to this point but it goes to show that if you put your heart into something it can be accomplished.The way that President Obama pursued his dreams were well thought out and worked together brilliantly.
Secondly, I listen to his speech which was very good by the way. The speech talked about a variety of ideas and beautiful words to descibe things, but unfortunately I was left at a loss as for how things are going to change. I do love the fact that He wants all Americans to join together and work together to fix things as well as volunteer to help those around us. I agree with that 100 percent, but I still left wanting more. I want to follow this president but I need more from him. I need some examples, and I guess I will see this as time goes on," for crying out loud he was just sworn in today" you say. I am going to have a positive attitude to our new president I just hope that he is able to get our country out of this rut. The demands of this country are great with the war happening, the financial recession, and the state of America's businesses he has a lot on his plate. I hope that President Obama surrounds himself with good support and knowledgeable people so that America can once again hold it's head up again in our own country as well as around the world?
Thirdly, Doug and I discussed this last night and it may seem like a crazy question and really kind of weird, but here it goes. Since President Obama is not a "christian" is he bound to following the promises of the bible that He swore on today? I know that he swore on the Lincoln Bible but what if he was Jewish would he swear on the torah? or an athesist would he have to swear on anything at all? I just thought I would throw that out their to my blog followers. Please let me know what you think.
Finally, I will say that I am unsure where he will take our country I will be praying for him and hope that he quickly changes many minds like my own over the next 4 years. Welcome Mr. President Obama welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting comment concerning christianity. I noted that during his oath the words, "so help me God" were added; as these words are not in the official oath of office, they have been added to the oath over the years (I read this on MSNBC yesterday). I commented to Jeff that I was suprised how many references there were to God. At the end of his speech, if you remember, he even said "God Bless America."
    So, since his relgion was an issue to me, I did find comfort that he seems to Thank God and not Allah (as that would confuse me).
    Like you, I did not vote for him. But as a proud American, I will stand behind my President and Support him. Also, I will use my freedom of speech to verbalize when I disagree if he makes a bone headed decision. :) Best of luck President Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you and i seem to be on the same page with President Obama. I wish him all the best, and I hope he s good to the country.

    I also asked the question about swearing on the Bible. It confuses me that they have them swear on the Bible to begin with since this country was founded on the premise of seperation of church and state, but whatever... it's a good question none the less.

    did you hear that they had him retake his vow since there was a bit of a stumble during his swearing in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny! I believe that Obama considers himself to be a Christian. I don't know what is in his heart, of course, and I can't understand how he can really align some of his policies with the Bible, but people say that of me too! I think that, unless it is specified in the Consitution, the President swears in on whatever Holy Book he chooses. So, if he were Jewish he would swear on the Torah. If he were Muslim, The Koran. If he was atheist.... on himself?? Good question! I think the same thing happens when someone is sworn in in court too.

    ReplyDelete