Sunday, March 29, 2009

Why don't 8 year olds come with manuals?


So normally I come to this blog to brag or show off some major event at the Burwell manor, but todays installment is a stress revealer and hopefully be a blog that others can say I have been there or someday I will be there.
Anyway Lanie and I had a huge disagreement today which resulted in a major punishment for Lanie. The fight is not what this blog is about but more the after effects that stem from a argument with your child whom you love more than anything in this world.The shockwaves that kit your household.
The punishment occurred after many warnings and much debate. I do have to give Lanie kudoos in that I see her having a really good chance at becoming a lawyer in her future. The punishment was handed down and soon followed was Lanie's request for a family meeting was given. So lucky for Doug he was pulled into the debate as well. Poor Doug was then sentenced to the worst fate any man could see himself in-- in the middle of TWO women arguing. Lanie stated her side with examples and explaination as I tried to listen and give her the floor. After much debate and my side was stated the gavel fell down as the judgement was made that the punishment would stand. It was like a scene from Judge Judy except much more dramatic!
As I listen to Lanie cry it breaks my heart and flashes of my own childhood race through my mind. I realize that the feelings she has are sad and angry with a glimpse of regret. I now know that my parents were doing these things out of love for me which I now find myself in that same position,the one that has to teach the lesson. I have heard the saying that "this is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you." I now see how true this statement is and how deeply it does hurt. I don't like to see my children in pain, but I do want them to grow and be good people who make good choices and do their best to do the right thing. Most of all I want them to know that I love them! This means making hard decisions and showing all the love that I have in my heart to them.
So now I ask you wouldn't be easier if 8 years had manuals? When problems come about you thumb to the index look up the problem and key in the answer. I know what you thinking then they would be like a robot and have no emotion, no sense of drive just a simple solution. Sometimes as a parent I look for for the simple solution when there is growth on both of our parts. I am glad that Lanie is not a robot but an emotional kid much like myself at that age. I know that I am not Dr. Frankenstein, I did not invent some robot that goes and takes over the world. I am much more I am a mother who was lucky enough to create a beautiful girl who grows more beautiful each day on the inside and the outside.
So why don't 8 year olds have manuals? The answer is because there are many solutions and many ways to love your child many more that could ever fill a manual because the flow of a mothers love could never be contained in a book.
Well, it's time for me to go now.... I have to go hug "my girl."

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am right there with you. Having a not-quite-pre-teen is oh so frustrating! You think they should know better, you think they would learn. And sometimes there are flashes of brilliance and proud moments where your child does something completely unexpected and wonderful. But then there are the tough times, where you just wanna ship them off to boarding school. There have been many times in our household where I have just wanted to run and hide and not deal with the emotions, tantrums, drama and problems that come with a kid who's growing up. So don't worry-you're not alone. We just muddle along as best we can and do a LOT of praying!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete